Why I’m Here

October 19th, 2010 dpdeco13

Hey Folks!

I’m back and bloggier than ever. I’ve been hard at work in the beginning stages of my compilation of the Sophomore Year Top Ten, and it’s already looking like it might give last year a run for its money.

I’ll be back in a few days to share some recent interesting experiences, but this post serves a different purpose. Here’s the deal:

My sister found a scholarship for college bloggers and sent it to me, encouraging me to throw myself into the competition and see what happened. My sister is probably the smartest person I know, so I took her advice.

The application required a 300 word essay, and I’d like to share mine with you today, readers. The question made me look closely at myself and my writing and clarify my mission as a blogger. Enjoy.

Why did you start blogging? What does blogging mean to you? Why is blogging important to you?

Choosing a college is nothing if not a daunting undertaking. How are 17 and 18-year olds supposed to know which school is right for them when stacks of viewbooks, catalogues, pamphlets and emails tower over their lives? How much foliage, forced diversity, and hired models can one high school senior take before the maddening task of distinguishing between schools starts to weigh them down? I faced this very dilemma two years ago, but thanks to the student blogs on the Holy Cross website, I was able to get a true sense of what campus life was like. It was the students who showed me what it truly meant to be a Crusader, and as a prospective student, that was what I wanted more than anything else.

It’s no coincidence, then, that my ears perked up when first-year students were invited to apply for a blog of their own. A freelance writer before college, I’ve long understood the power of the written word, and blogging is a new medium that allows me to share everything from the life-altering episode to the simplest anecdote with prospective students. Despite what the media might suggest, there’s a lot more to post-graduate life than sex, parties and frisbee. I’m here to cover it all: the good, the bad, the regrettable, and the unforgettable.

Whether my blog entices or turns off prospective students, I don’t much care. If my experiences help them make the right decision for themselves, I consider myself a successful blogger. Most schools have entire offices dedicated to baiting high schoolers, and I’ll leave that task to them. I’m here for the truth. I’m here to help the kids who, like me, just want to hear from the people who can tell them everything they want to know: the students themselves.

—–

In short, my blog is your blog, prospective students. Get to know me, and you’ll get to know a version of your future self if you choose Holy Cross. For your sake, my sake, and the school’s sake, I hope you like me.

Be back soon with some second-year specials.

2 Responses to “Why I’m Here”

1. GET THE HOTTEST REVIEWS ON ALL OF THE LATEST GADGETS OUT!! says:

http://WWW.INSPECTAGADGETS.COM...

REVIEW IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!…

2. NEIL says:

CHEAP GENERIC PHARMACY : -==== Men’s Health Drugs ====-

Buy Cheap Generic Drugs Now!…